Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The One Where Paige is IN the Philippines - August 30, 2015

We made it!! I just got to Urdaneta on Wednesday :) my new comp is Sister Antenorcruz :) she's pretty chill. Anyway! We got to our apartments and GUESS WHO HAS A RUNNING SHOWER! It's me. And I thank the Lord every day. 

Anyway, the Philippines is still taking some getting used to. It's hotter and more humid than satan's armpit. It also gets dark at 6, which helps with the heat but helps less with the fact that I can't see anything and I walk in puddles a lot when I don't need to and I assume everything I step on is a squished frog or something. But it's not too hot at night and that's what matters :)

We've taught a few lessons this weekend, and there was a stake baptism on saturday :) pretty exciting stuff. I'm starting to get to know the members a little better, which is SO great. Also we have a new investigator named Bro. Vicente :) he's nice. I -think- he accepted the baptism invitation (??) I still have no idea what's going on most of the time in our lessons because Tagalog and also rain is loud and also I'm pretty sure I have old man hearing cause whenever someone's voice is too low I can't hear what they're saying :P Joy. 

Oh! And our second night in the Manila MTC Stromberg and I found 5 cockroaches in our room that were legit like 2 1/2 inches long. GROSS. But the animals here are cool for the most part. Not the bugs. Bugs are gross and mosquitos think I'm tasty and if I get sent home early with some weird disease, that's why. But there are geckos here! I love geckos!! And lots of frogs. Some of them go tikatikatika! and some go kwek! but my favorite ones are the ones that go buuuuuuuuong! It sounds like a cross between a cow's moo and a big, heavy metal pipe getting hit with a smaller, less heavy pipe.

I got to talk to some little kids at church yesterday which was fun :) NO idea what they were saying. But they were really cute :) they're helping me learn stuff. Haha the little boy I was talking to would say stuff but when I said, "Ano??" cause I either couldn't hear him or didn't catch what he was saying, he would just say, "...Ang ganda po ninyo." So cute! They call me Snow White (: ha!

My mission president and his wife are super cute :) and Sister Deyro is either a nurse or a doctor... at any rate, she'll be helpful in my quest, for when I get a weird disease as previously mentioned.

The traffic takes getting used to. It's not so bad in Urdaneta, but Manila was ridiculous. I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW THEIR CARS STILL LOOK BRAND NEW. Anywho, much like we need to trust in the Lord and have faith that He'll guide us to where we need to be, we need to have faith in the trike drivers that they won't let us get hit by a semi even though they cut right in front of the trucks and don't usually stop if they don't need to. But they know what they're doing (: Buses are nice. They're usually air conditioned... the ones I've been on at least. Speak of which! As we were getting off the bus yesterday I realized that Starry Night/Vincent was playing over the radio and my heart cried just a little bit because Doctor Who. But it also made me really, really happy :)

Anyway! Times up, I guess. Mahal ko kayo! 

-Sister Paige Laretta Burton

No comments:

Post a Comment